Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Backup that online data!!!

When will I learn my lesson??? Something crashed and I've lost all my journal entries since May of 2009 (the last time something crashed and I started backing everything up).

Wish I knew of an easier way to do this, and wish I had enough money to buy a really good external hard drive. Just trying to use thumb drives and/or CDs and DVDs. Way too painstakingly long for as much as I do online.

Does anyone else just gobble up music and photo space on their devices???

Which reminds me, duh, that I also need to backup my smart phone. And double check that I have my phone numbers and mailing addresses up to date. Mom used to keep up with all my family for me and ever since she's gone I've done a horrible job of keeping in touch. I am a bad relative. Doesn't help that I like my online friends better than I like much of my family! *insert twisted smiley here*

Seriously, I think that if I could get my family to stay connected online I might find out I like them too! It's just so hard to write 10-20 different letters to all the neices/nephews/cousins/siblings and so easy to shoot off one email. Does anyone else have this problem??? Can I "buy" an online board for all of us to keep in touch on that's safe and easy-to-use (I have a few old fuddy-duddies in the family that are still scared of computers).

Well, I guess my fingers have run out of energy as they've just been sitting here stiff for over 7 minutes while my mind wandered. Hope this post finds anyone who reads me having a good day. If not, here's a hug from me to you: (((((( you )))))


6 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, I'm so sorry that you lost all of that precious information. It's not just precious memories, I'm sure--probably some specific things that you'd like like to refer to at some point.

    You know, for backing up text copies of your online words, one dedicated thumb drive is more than adequate. If you copy and paste all of your text data to Word or what ever doc program you use, it doesn't take up much space at all. And you could just add to the same text document all the time.

    In any case, many hugs, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you lost all that info. I know what you mean about keeping up with relatives. Every January I decide that I will send birthday cards to everyone and by July I've given up because I have forgotten everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago, I had an external hard drive crash and I lost all my digital photos from 2000-2005. Yet, I haven't learned my lesson either!
    A friend from church recommended Carbonite, an online backup of your hard drive. It's automatic. I liken it to a safe deposit box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SchnauzerMom!!! Are we twins??? I just don't think I'll even try this next year. ;)

    Thank you FrannyG and Hairstorm. I'll check into both of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big time. Still remember the first time my computer crashed. It had most of my essays at that point, then those essays disappeared. And they were up for printing! I was able to piece those papers back together through the notes and drafts I had lying around, but imagine if it were a manuscript!

    Scality.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always disheartening and frustrating to lose important documents. That's why responsible computer owners must consider investing on reliable online backup system for the protection and preservation of their files. Keep in mind that a file without backup can't be retrieved, regardless of whether a crashed computer is repaired.

    -Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement

    ReplyDelete